I just finished up a job for a gentleman from Vermont who wanted an outfit for various Scottish events. This is what we came up with: a Stewart of Appin kilt, and a blazer altered to make it into an Arglye jacket. I was really pleased with how this came out–take a look!
This kilt was a real pleasure to work on. The tartan is from Strathmore, a mill that makes really beautiful fabric. For the jacket, I made epaulets, re-shaped the pocket flaps, shortened it, applied cuffs made from a matching fabric, and added the buttons. In this outfit, he’s ready for just about anything! I also made a sash for a lady to wear, so they’ll make a real impression wherever they go.
Now it’s on to my next project. I have an Angus Muted in the works for a young man who is a piper. My main challenge there is to get 9″ of shaping into it without making him look like a girl. This is typical for a teenage, very trim young man. Then, as they mature, the waist fills in, and I end up letting the kilt out.
In other news, we are all safe after last week’s storm (and I had 2 days off from school too!), and are now waiting for the next nor’easter to work its way up the coast. Snow is a definite possibility. I’m ready for any eventuality–I have a few day’s work lined up right now.