This Old Kilt

I finally got the Gordon’s kilt back in one piece.  I have included pictures above.  This kilt looks like new, even if I do say so myself.  I made it about 5 inches bigger in the waist, and maybe 2 inches bigger in the hips.  The only thing that happens with kilts like these is that you can sometimes see fading on the aprons, and a real difference in the color where fabric that was originally on the inside is now exposed.  It always looks darker than the rest of the apron, but only if you really examine it closely, and in good light.  This whole alteration took a full day’s work, and lots of pressing. It has new straps, new lining, new interfacing, and new buckle tabs.  It should go another 30 years with proper care.  I was able to find a piece of matching tartan for the top band too–sometimes I have a piece of the right thing on hand, and it just works out.  Sometimes I have to find a tartan that has similar colors, and just put the new piece on the underapron, where it won’t be visible when the kilt is being worn.

So, onward and upward.  This week’s project is a couple of straight skirts that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.  The big thing here is planning, and matching the tartan at the sides.

Come and say Hi at the Highland Dance tent at Loon if you are in the area!