I’m back. It’s been a few weeks, but I have an excuse. It was school vacation, so naturally I was working the whole time. This happens every year, because February vacation comes right in the middle of the busy season. Last week I made 2 kilts and an Aboyne vest, which is about average for a vacation week. I’ve laid out another one and hemmed it, and plan to get going on that kilt on Sunday. All of this work, and all of the measurements floating around in my head make it easy to make mistakes. Believe me, I’ve made my share. Mostly they are fixable, as long as it doesn’t involve cutting. Have I ever ruined a kilt length? Not so far- I adhere to the “measure twice, cut once” rule, and really try hard not to do any cutting if I’m tired. Every once in a while there is an issue with the measurements, and I have to do some fixing. The hardest part is keeping the pleats the right size at the waist. They always want to grow, and it’s easy to end up with a kilt that is two inches too big in the waist, particularly with slim teenage girls. The hardest kilt to make is one for a 16 year old with a very slim waist– there’s no room for error, and a strict limit to the number of pleats that you can put in. Girls like this often have 11-12 inches difference between the waist and hips, so the pleats are very tapered. It is easy to have the waist on one of these kilts come out 2 inches too big, which is a disaster–this must be fixed, or not allowed to happen in the first place. I do measure as I go along, and have been known to take out lots of pleats (along with the requisite number of rude words said to myself) to make it all right.
In other news, the kilt length is finished, and off the loom. I have “fulled” (washed) it and pressed it up–it’s gorgeous. Now all I have to do is to find time to make it into a kilt.